Monday, July 23, 2012

How to Wear It: High Waisted Shorts



I've been bombarded.  Yes, bombarded by questions from our wonderful fashionista family on tips for wearing shorts.  And to be more specific, high waisted shorts.  It's a style that transcends seasonal trends year after year, and has become more of a lifestyle statement for some fashion hungry divas.

So last week I posted a fashion video (watch it above!) featuring about 9 different looks with high waisted shorts (and a few not so high waisted).  I wrote and recorded the song, shot, and edited the video in a span of 3 sleepless days!  And now that it's out, I wanted to take a moment and breakdown some of the looks from the video!  So here are 3 of my favorite ways to rock high waisted shorts!



Look 1:  Leopard Shorts with Bustier Top


This look is extremely versatile and one of my favorite ways to wear high waisted shorts.  By incorporating leopard patterns into your look, you automatically add a fun and edgy look to the outfit.  But, because the printed shorts are fitted in a classic, tailored silhouette, they not only flatter most all body types, but add an element of class and sophistication which plays nicely off the playful print.

I paired the shorts with a crop top bustier.  Not everyone likes to wear a midriff top, and that's the beauty of high waisted shorts (or skirts, or pants for that matter).  You can wear a crop without the appearance of it being a crop which makes it a more all around look, appropriate for many different occasions.  

To complete the look, I added a couple long necklaces which I think balance out the long waist shorts, and a pair of bold red loafer pumps.  Leopard + red = love at first sight.  If you want further coverage for your high waisted look, try adding a sheer cardigan!  It gives you more coverage in the back without hiding the style.  And of course, if you're looking to add a hipster dimension to the look, top everything off with a tan or black fedora and natural beachy hair!





Look 2:  Leopard body suit with red shorts.


Remember what I said above?  Leopard + red = love at first sight?  Same applies here, I just switched the color placement.  This is definitely a more bold and playful take on the high waisted shorts with this attention getting hue.  I wanted to go with a body suit for one of the looks, as they are a match made in short heaven when it comes to being paired with something high waisted.  They will never ride up, look bunchy, or untuck themselves from your shorts, which can be a huge frustration when sporting this look.

That's why I opt for crop tops or body suits.  

I was in love with the sheer cutout detail of the body suit, and wanted to further accent it by wearing another long necklace.  The buttons of the red shorts keep with the sleek tailored look, almost creating a nautical feel.  

To add a more hipster vibe (which is optional of course) I wore some long thigh-high black socks along with these killer spiked and studded peep toe pumps!  You could also rock this look with some military boots or studded flats.

Well that's the wrap on these 2 looks!  I'll post some more breakdowns of the other looks later on in the blog!  And here are the links to all the items I've shown if you want to grab them:

Red High Waisted Shorts
Leopard High Waisted Shorts

Black Bustier Top
Leopard Bodysuit
Black Sheer Cardigan

Red Loafer Pumps
Black Spike Studded Peep Toe Pumps
Brown Fedora
Cross Necklace
Skull Necklace

Until then, which is your favorite look?

Posted by:  Spankie V.


3 comments:

PurpleBeauty said...

I love the outfits!!


ThePurpleBeauty173.blogspot.com

rawwwwwws said...

The shorts are too cute! I will feature your blog on my
high waited shorts lens!click here

I loved the outfits!!

rawwwwwws said...
This comment has been removed by the author.